Personal Data means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. Personal Data includes biographical data (biodata) such as name, sex, marital status, date and place of birth, country of origin, country of asylum, individual registration number, occupation, religion and ethnicity, biometric data such as a photograph, fingerprint, facial or iris image, as well as any expression of opinion about the individual, such as assessments of their status and/or specific needs.
PROTECTION OF INFORMATION
We take the protection of your personal and sensitive information seriously. We have implemented various security measures to ensure that your information is secure and protected from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. We use industry-standard encryption technologies to protect your payment information, and we regularly update our security protocols to keep up with the latest threats.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you visit our website, WhatsApp store or use our mobile applications we automatically collect your personal data in order to improve and provide efficient services to you. We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data for marketing and personal data optimization purposes. The data we collect includes:
– Your contact details including telephone, email and geo location data
– Registration information including your login details and other authentication information
– Demographic information including your age, sex, date of birth, occupation
– Marketing preferences
– Payment information including credit card numbers, bank details, mobile number details. All the above is called Order Information.
– Certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device,
– Additionally, as you browse our services, we collect information about the individual pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, your downloads, and information about how you interact with the Site, personal data contained in user-generated content such as blogs and social media accounts. We refer to this automatically collected information as Device Information.
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
– Cookies are data files that are placed on your device or computer, if you agree, and often include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies help us to provide you with an enhanced browsing experience.
– Log files track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Your personal data will never be processed without a legal basis to do so. The legal basis depends on the purpose for which we have collected and used your personal data. In almost every case the legal basis will be one of the following:
– Consent – We will only process your personal data and use your information with your consent. You can at any time withdraw your consent by utilizing the ‘opt out’ option via call to our customer support team at +254 114152378.
– Contract Performance – we will process your information in fulfilment of our obligations under our agreement or transactions
– Compliance with the Law – Where we are subject to a legal obligation and need to use your personal data in order to comply with that obligation.
– Our legitimate business interests – Where it is necessary for us to understand our customers, promote our services and operate effectively, provided in each case that this is done in a legitimate way which does not unduly affect your privacy and other rights
– Public interest – we may process your information as required by any circumstances of public interest
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use the Order Information that we collect generally to fulfil any orders placed through the webite, WhatsApp store and mobile applications (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations).
Additionally, we use this Order Information to:
– Communicate and manage our relationship with you.
– Improve our services including our website, WhatsApp store and mobile application experiences
– Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud.
– Provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
– Enable you participate in promotions, competitions and surveys
– Enable you to access certain products and services offered by our partners and vendors
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our services to you.
If you have provided your permission for us to access your contacts, you agree to share your contact’s name and phone number with Kapu by clicking the ‘Register’ button in the app. This information is used exclusively for the purpose of registering them as a new customer. Your contact will be notified and can manage their consent and data preferences accordingly.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Any disclosure of your information shall be in accordance with applicable law and regulations. We may disclose your information to:
– Law-enforcement agencies, regulatory authorities, courts or other statutory authorities in response to a demand issued with the appropriate lawful mandate and where the form and scope of the demand is compliant with the law.
– Our subsidiaries, associates, partners, software developers or agents who are involved in delivering our services or products to you. Examples include fulfilling orders for products or services, delivering packages, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing payments, transmitting content, assessing and managing credit risk, and providing customer service
– Publicly available and/or restricted government databases to verify your identity information in order to comply with regulatory requirements
– Debt-collection agencies or other debt-recovery organisations
– Survey and analytics agencies that conduct surveys on our behalf
– Business transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy other businesses or services. In such transactions, customer information may be transferred together with other business assets.
– In order to deliver products and services purchased on our marketplace from third parties, we may be required to provide your personal data to such third parties
We will only retain your personal data for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or reporting requirements. We may retain your personal data for a longer period in the event of a complaint or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation in respect to our relationship with you.
We will actively review the personal data we hold and delete it securely, or in some cases anonymise it, when there is no longer a legal, business or consumer need for it to be retained. Anonymised information that can no longer be associated with you may be held indefinitely.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
From time to time we may need to transfer your personal information outside the Republic of Kenya.
Where we send your information outside Kenya, we will make sure that your information is properly protected in accordance with the applicable Data Protection Laws.
Our site, mobile applications, WhatsApp store are not intended for individuals under the age of 18(eighteen) years.
Subject to legal and contractual exceptions, you have certain rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data:
– Right to be informed that we are collecting personal data about you;
– Right to access personal data that we hold about you and request for information about how we process it;
– Right to request that we correct inaccurate personal data;
– Right to request erasure of your data, subject to any legal or regulatory obligations requiring that we retain this data;
– Right to object and withdraw your consent to processing of your personal data. We may continue to process if we have a legitimate or legal reason to do so;
– Right to request restricted processing of your personal data noting that we may be entitled or legally obligated to continue processing your data and refuse your request;
– Right to request transfer of your personal data in [an electronic format].
If you have questions and/or require more information, or wish to raise any complaints, concerns or to provide any information in relation to your personal data, do not hesitate to contact us on +254 114152378.